Clinic Services

Unwanted Hair

Permanent Hair Reduction

Hair removal is the practice of removing body hair.

Depilation is the removal of the part of the hair above the surface of the skin. The most common form of depilation is shaving. Another option is the use of chemical depilatories, which work by breaking the disulfide bonds that link the protein chains that give hair its strength, making the hair disintegrate.

Epilation is the removal of the entire hair, including the part below the skin. Methods include waxing, sugaring, epilation devices, lasers, threading, intense pulsed light or electrology. Hair is also sometimes removed by plucking with tweezers.

What is the Hair Growth Cycle?

There are three stages of hair growth.

The first phase is the growth phase and is termed the anagen phase. Cells in this phase are especially susceptible to IPL and laser treatments. Roughly 20% of the hair is in this phase at any point of time. Therefore, only about 20% of the hairs are very sensitive to treatment at any one time. This leaves 80% of the hair follicles resting and less susceptible. This is the reason why multiple treatments are needed to achieve acceptable hair reduction. The next phase of the hair growth cycle is the catagen phase. During this time, the bulb at the end of the hair gradually shrinks. Some of these hair follicles are affected by IPL and laser treatments. The hair remains within the follicle until the hair has shrunk enough that it becomes ‘loose’ within the follicle and it is then shed. This phase, from shrinkage of the hair bulb to shedding is termed the telagen phase of hair growth. Hair follicles in telagen phase are minimally affected by IPL or laser treatments.

What treatments are available at Clariancy Aesthetic Clinic?

We offer the following treatments for permanent hair reduction:
  • Intense Pulsed Light
  • Skin Clear SRVH (Long pulsed 1064nm Nd yag laser)

How does IPL or laser hair reduction work?

IPL and laser treatments work by targeting the pigments (melanin) located within the hair follicle. The light/laser from the system is absorbed by the melanin in the hair follicle and this energy is converted to heat which results in thermal damage to the hair follicle. This thermal damage causes permanent destruction of the hair follicles. As such, the darker pigmentation of the hair follicle absorbs more energy than the pigment in the surrounding skin. Therefore the system raises the temperature of the hair follicle safely without damage to the surrounding skin.

Am I suitable for hair reduction treatments?

IPL hair removal works best for individuals with fair skin and dark coarse hair. Individuals with fair skin and fine hair can also be treated using IPL but may require more sessions. Individuals with a darker skin type are not suitable for IPL hair reduction due to the high incidence of side effects. Darker individuals have more melanin in their skin and will absorb more heat, thus resulting in burns. Similarly, tanned individuals need to wait until their tan fades out before commencing IPL therapy. IPL does not work well for individuals with grey, blonde and white hair due to the low amounts of melanin present in the hair follicle.

So what happens if you have a darker skin type or different hair types?

At Clariancy Aesthetic Clinic, we have a long pulse 1064nm Ng Yag laser specifically for permanent hair reduction. It is painless and very safe for all skin types. It also works well for those with very fine, grey, blonde or white hairs.

What areas can be treated?

All areas can be treated with IPL or laser for permanent hair reduction.

To make an appointment, contact us here.